the usagi incidents

20050619

Salyu - Landmark



The wait is over - Salyu's first solo album (though with the same producer from the Lily Chou-Chou project) is out. And it was everything that I hoped and prayed for.

Along with the released single tracks "Suisei", "Valon-1", "Peaty", and "Dialogue", there are other tracks that make this album an instant buy in that it manages to keep the balance between genres. One really can't peg down Salyu in one genre, since she dabbles in so many styles. But we see a really nice comeback of her ethereal side, along with the pop, rock, etc. The first track, the title track of the album, brought me to tears when I first heard it. I'm still amazed that Salyu can, just with a few lyrics can bring me to tears. The only other artists that can really get this out of me are Shiina Ringo/Tokyo Jihen and Nine Inch Nails. That's not many, so this is very high praise from me.

If you want ethereal, try "Landmark" and "Dramatic Irony", if pop try "Suisei" and "Peaty", and if you want something that's light rock, try "Dialogue". My only complaint is that they didn't include the original Valon track she did with Ilmari which was officially her first solo single from last year. Valon-1 is the track without Ilmari's vocals; still good but Ilmari is still apart of that song and it feels like something's missing without it.

I've been really saving money since I'm off to study for the year at ICU starting on 7/3, but you can bet that I'm blowing the 30 bucks I have in paypal right now that's not been transfered yet on this album as soon as I get there. Just amazing. If she has lives this summer, you can bet that I'll try to go to each one like I would with the above other three mentioned.

Final Review: A

Favourite track(s) from this album:
-I am
-Valon-1
-Dialogue
-Dramatic Irony
-Landmark
-Taion

related:
Salyu - Suisei
Salyu - Peaty

2 Comments:

  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger Segars said…

    How would you say this album compares to the album she released under "Lily Chou Chou."

    I've been looking for a successor album to "Breathe" for quite some time and I'm hoping that this will be the one.

    Also, have you had a chance to listen to her latest album "Terminal"?

    I'm hoping that over the years she hasn't altered her style too much. I'm simply in love with the Lily Chou Chou soundtrack, so I'd hate to see her stray too far into the pop rock arena.

    By the way, if you haven't heard of Sigur Ros, you should definitely look them up and give them a listen. They are a band that has nearly brought me to tears a couple times. Also, some of the songs from Jeff Buckley have the same effect on me.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Segars said…

    Also, I realize that this post was rather old, and I might have some trouble finding my way back here, or perhaps you may not be notified of my response, so if you wouldn't mind emailing me back that'd be amazing.

    Segarsj@gmail.com

    Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home