the usagi incidents

20051220

Best of 2005: Anime

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

BEST MANGA TO ANIME ADAPTATION:
MUSHISHI
This was a hard one, guys. You have NO idea. But with all of my other considerations (Honey and Clover, Loveless, etc), there was always something not quite absoltely in harmony with the original source. But with Mushishi, as of so far, nothing has been out of place and modifications made have served to actually illuminate parts of the manga that were vague or lost. This show is what adaptors should strive for.

RUNNER-UP:
Honey and Clover
Near perfect adaptation, but with one or two filler episodes.
Loveless
Gay cat boys and girls. See above comment.


BEST CONTINUING ANIME:
Mai-HiME
Started in October 2004 and ended in February of this year (thereabouts), Mai-HiME was one of those shows you either loved or hated and either way couldn't get enough of. Now with a theatrical movie on the way, a second season on air, and merchandise up to your armpits it's become one of the most praised anime in the last five years. And it should be. It has a lot of typical elements but with a twist. That twist continues to keep me interested, even now.

RUNNER-UP:
Gankutsuou
Coming in at a tough second, Japan's take on the Dumas classic. One of the first times that Gonzo has earned respect from me as a studio, too.


BEST NEW ANIME:
TRINITY BLOOD
Even though this might be technically an adaptation from the novels, the anime took an entirely different direction from the original series of books. Again, more respect for Gonzo than I've had for awhile. At first I thought I would hate this series since most vampire-related series I've seen have really sucked and had so many typical elements, but this one just blew them all out of the water. Story, graphics, music, everything. Trinity Blood takes it for 2005.

RUNNER-UP:
Kamichu!
A refreshing, relaxing summer series. Haven't had one of those for awhile. Nice pacing too.


BEST OAV:
Saikano: Another Love Song
A very much needed explaination and backstory to one of Japan's most beloved works. Just seeing things from Shuu's side did NOT help, but now we have two other POVs as well: Misaki and Chise. I cried throughout the ending of the second episode. >>;

RUNNER-UP:
None. :(


BEST NEW STUDIO:
ANIMATION/NOITAMINA
They're the ones behind the adaptations of Paradise Kiss and Hachikuro. They're extremely faithful with their work, and an entirely new studio to have two hit shows in 2005. That's pretty impressive, I should think. I look forward to their 2006 works too!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:35 AM, Blogger CAL said…

    I definitely agree with you on the best new studio. I LOVED Hachikuro, and Paradise Kiss, although sometimes reminding me of IG a little too much due to the sloppy movement animation (they probably sub-con to them--I'm saying this without checking the credits) is really lovely to look at. But Hachikuro probably makes them one of the best studios of the year, new or not. I mean, don't you dig that OP1 too? :)

    That aside, I agree with you that Mushishi is excellent. I have not read the manga for any of the three you mentioned, but they are all excellent anime (they would make my shortlist of anime for 2005 any day).

    I do wonder about the "Continuing anime" section, as I'm not aware of Gankutsuou continuing any further. Mai Otome is still showing, so even though I disagree with the choice (didn't like the anime myself) I won't argue with that one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home